Useful information about IP
IP ratings: IP is an enclosure rating that tells you how good an encapsulation is and how well it resists and protects against dust and water ingress. The letters IP (International Protection) are followed by two digits describing the equipment protection level. The first digit of the IP code indicates the degree to which a person is protected against contact with moving parts (other than smooth rotating shafts, etc.) and the degree to which the equipment is protected against solid foreign bodies intruding into an enclosure. The second digit indicates the degree of protection for the equipment inside the enclosure against the harmful entry of various forms of moisture (e.g. drips, spray, submersion, etc.)
- Protected against close-range high pressure, high temperature spraying
- Test duration: 30 seconds from 7 angles (3 minutes total)
- Pressure: 10 MPa (100 bar)
- At a distance of 0.125 m
- Water temperature: 80 °C
Closure´s tested with all variants of bushing technology for the Telecombox T240 system.
Classification of the degree of protection provided by the enclosure
EN 60529:1991 + A1:2000 + A2:2013
IEC 60529:1989 + A1:1999 + A2:2013
IP68 (2.0 bar/24 h)/IP69, IP69K
- The largest dimension of the Telecombox T240 exceeds 250 mm and the test was therefore performed with the test parameters for large enclosures.
- The test objects were exposed to high-pressure water from all directions for a total of 3 minutes.
- The water pressure was approximately 100 bar and the spraying distance was 125 mm.
- The temperature of the water was 80º C.
High-pressure washer: KEW 52C3KA
Nozzle: RISE inventory no. BX41793
Sliding calliper: RISE inventory no. 501806
Water flow meter: RISE inventory no. 501880
Frequency counter: RISE inventory no. 503436
Thermometer: RISE inventory no. BX41792
Stopwatch: RISE inventory no. 501336
Spraying distance: ± 25 mm
Water temperature: ± 5 °C
Time: ± 3.5 s
Closures set-up for an IP6X dust test with vacuum pump connection.
At Tykoflex we of course conduct our own tests both outdoors and in our climate chamber, here is an example.